Tuesday, August 13, 2019

GMC Sierra DIY Drive Shaft Removal Procedure



GMC Sierra DIY Drive Shaft Removal Procedure. This whole video was made due to my truck being stuck in gear. Tried everything to get it unstuck but nothing worked. Had to get it out of the way so it was necessary to remove the drive shaft and pull it out of the way.
If this happens to you or you need to disconnect your drive shaft for other reasons, then this video is for you. It's actually very easy and can be done with simple hand tools. 

The first thing I did was jack up the track and place jack stands under it so I didn't get crushed. 

Secondly, I disconnected it at the rear differential joint. This was easily removed by loosening the 4 bolts shown using a 7/16" socket. 
Before completely removing them I made sure to tie up the drive shaft so it didn't smack me in the face. I used a flathead screwdriver to pop off the little clips around the universal joint and the retaining rings. Once these are removed the drive shaft comes right out. 

Pretty simple. I did end up buying a new universal joint as the old one was a little rusty. It was fairly inexpensive at auto zone. 

Amazon link to new U-joint: https://amzn.to/2Hdz5gw


No comments:

Post a Comment