Thursday, October 24, 2019

DIY Buck Horn Mount from Pallet Wood and Bed Rails



I had to do this nice buck some justice by mounting his horns in this Instructional "how to" style video with detailed step by step procedural instructions for mounting buck horns out of pallet wood and a metal bedrail frame. The pallet I found happened to be a nice oak one. This project posed a few challenges and one of those was that the horns were in two pieces rather than one and there wasn't a heck of a lot of material to nail to the wooden back pieces. So to start I pulled the nails out of the oak pallet I had found and cut the cross members into three equally sized pieces for the mounting boards. It love the density of oak wood. It's so heavy too and really nice to work with. After getting the proper size I grabbed the scrap bed rail I had laying in the metal scrap pile and cut it to match the wood pieces. I took a power wire brush to the cute pieces and removed the paint followed by a coat of clear coat to the bed rails. I coated the wood with some clear varnish as well. Now I had to cut the horns to the proper angle in order to properly mount them to the wood. This took a few tries match it up so it looked both even and natural. I drilled a hole up through the horns then a hole I backboard as well once I got the horns in proper position. Then I hit it with a few brad nails and some epoxy. For the back I used an old pop can tab. Then I hung it up. Fun project made with all up cycled or reused materials.

No comments:

Post a Comment